Welcome to our world...

Stay tuned for updates of the new life together that Pete and Rebecca have begun sharing in Pittsburgh!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Flora Singer died yesterday...

Flora Singer was one of my favorite Holocaust Survivors that I worked with every day at the Museum in DC.  She and her husband Jack were like grandparents to me, they were always telling me how I'd make some man very happy someday, and they would try and hook me up with young men they knew. They gave me pep talks and told funny stories and jokes about their own relationship and marriage, silly things they've done, places they've gone, and how happy they were to be together for so long.  Flora was vibrant, a social butterfly, always smiling and hugging people, full of life.  She suffered a horrible stroke a few years ago that rendered her unable to speak. She never recovered from it.  I never got to say goodbye to her, and it breaks my heart that she's gone. I'll always remember her, and I'll cry for her...and I feel so sad for Jack...he loved her more than anything in the world, and you could tell by the look in his eyes every time he looked at her. They held hands all the time, and were just the sweetest couple you could ever meet.

I will miss Flora very much. I wish I could attend her funeral, but obviously I can't, and it saddens me very much that these people I spent so much time with, are leaving this world at an alarming rate...soon there will be NO Survivors of the Holocaust left to tell their stories.  That is why I want so much to teach kids about this history, so that I can keep the memories of these wonderful people alive, by telling their stories, long after they are gone.

Love, Becky

No comments: