Welcome to our world...

Stay tuned for updates of the new life together that Pete and Rebecca have begun sharing in Pittsburgh!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Biopsy's suck

Hi there everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I survived the rather uncomfortable procedure of my right breast biopsy on Tuesday. They actually managed to suck out most of the lump, leaving only a tiny piece of it in there, (not sure why), but they put a "clip" on the site so that if it is cancerous, they can just go right back to that place and take the rest out ASAP. It may take a day or two for the results to come back so I'm waiting for them to call me. I hope it's just a benign cyst, but we'll see. I will update everyone once I get the results.

They laid me on this long flat HARD table, (why they don't use massage tables with a round face holder thing, I'll never know), and it had a round hole cut out in the middle. You would THINK they would put padding around that hole, but noooo, it cut into my ribs the whole time, and then you would THINK they'd let you put BOTH boobs into that hole, but noooo, the other one had to be SQUISHED the whole time while only one went through the hole, hanging down, my right arm raised above my head, my left arm down at my side, my head turned harshly to the left on a very flat pillow....this was NOT a comfortable position for me at all, and I had to hold that position for over an hour while they squished my hangy boob with a machine, took pictures, numbed it with Novacane and then cut a slash into the side and stuck a suction needle in there to take out the lump. They had to take before and after photos every time they did something, so this procedure took awhile. I was stiff and groggy when they finished, but they let me sit up awhile and told me I did wonderfully and that it looked to be just a cyst but of course they can't be 100% sure yet. They wheeled me back up to the short stay section and gave me a breakfast that I couldn't eat---didn't they KNOW I am diabetic?!---I can't have a blueberry muffin and sugary apple sauce for cripes' sake----anyway so they traded me for a lunch plate of a hamburger bun with one piece of processed turkey breast on it, with lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard on the side. I couldn't eat the sugary applesauce, AGAIN, or the no-sugar tapioca because (when you read the label), it really did have sugar all over the place in it. GRRRR.

Oh well. Hospital food sucks anyway. Florence joked, "When I was a nurse I had to eat that stuff 3 times a day and it was NOT pleasant." hehehe She had been up all night, concerned about me, and didn't sleep well. I joked with her, "Ya know, I told them they could suck out enough boobage to make me a size B cup instead of these double D's I carry around, and that would have suited me just fine, but noooo they wouldn't do THAT." Then I told her I'm fine, and that, "if they gotta cut this one off, look, they could lop the OTHER one off and split it in half, and I'd STILL have enough for a C cup bra." hehehe She just put her head down and laughed, telling me I'm crazy.

So today I'm just taking it easy, resting a bit. I'm sore and achey from my chest area to my armpit area, but other than that I am fine. I can't go doing any cartwheels in the house or anything like that, (as if!), but I can function just fine.

Today I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss this scoliosis in my back. Then my doctor calls me yesterday at 6:15 p.m., so immediately I figure she's going to tell me some bad news about my boob....but no, she wanted me to know that my liver enzymes are still too high and she wants to schedule me for an ultrasound of my innards soon. I'm about ready to smack that woman. Every time I go in there, she finds something ELSE wrong with me.

So, my liver is dumping too much sugar into my blood stream and needs some regulation to make it stop doing that, whether it's medication or surgery, I don't know yet. I'm just about ready to scream though. Even Florence said to me yesterday, "Wow, you're a MESS." hahaha I looked at her and said, "You are healthier than I am, and you're twice my age! That ain't FAIR!"

Anyway, so I'm just waiting for the NEXT thing to come along. Getting old really blows.

Well, that's all the news for now. I won't be able to go to Michigan next week like I had hoped. But I'll make some plans for July or August to do that.

Love, Becky

No comments: