Welcome to our world...

Stay tuned for updates of the new life together that Pete and Rebecca have begun sharing in Pittsburgh!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year...

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back on the blog, but we've all been sick most of last week into the whole New Years Eve shin-digs, so I haven't been online much lately.

Pete felt sick a few days before NYE, but then I got it the day before, and then Nathan got it the day after. Then, last night, after Pete's daughter Sybil got back to Rochester from a week's visit here, SHE got sick. So, whatever this stomach bug is, it has really gone wild around here on all of us. I haven't been that sick since my blood sugar dropped to 75 once...I took a new Diabetes medication called Victoza, and it made me sicker than a dog.

Anyway, Pete insisted that we still go out to the "First Night" festival downtown....now, apparently from our friend Lisa, this whole "First Night" title came from Boston in the 70's, where they say that "after midnight, it's the first night of the new year." However, where I come from, anytime after midnight is USUALLY considered MORNING. But hey, who am I to argue with a bunch of stoners in the 70's who partied in Boston and forgot to wear a watch??

Yeah, so we did go downtown, and we did attend a ballet performance, a comedian, and a troupe of actor/playwrights who performed thirty 2-minute plays in less than one hour; it was quite unusual, to say the least. Then we had something to eat, (I had cream of broccoli soup and a bread stick)...and after midnight, we decided to have a Gyro....and I practically INHALED mine, after 2.5 days of not eating much of anything.

But, even today my stomach is not happy. So I don't know what's going on, but maybe I'll lose some weight!! In fact, I've decided today to start Weight Watchers. Dammit. I've been avoiding that stuff for so long, skeptical, annoyed at how expensive it is, etc., and I have looked into Jenny Craig and Nutri-System D as well, but $300 a month for their food is just too ridiculous. I mean, just HOW good can processed microwaved food really BE anyway??

So, Sybil mentioned that she's on Weight Watchers and has lost about 7 pounds so far...I think it's worth a shot, and right now, they have a free enrollment. So, I might as well give it a try. I really do want to lose weight this year, I want to see if I can get rid of the Diabetes or not. So, that's one of the biggest resolutions for 2011 in my life anyway. (I'm going to try and get Pete and my mom to do it with me).

I'm also trying to get my mom to quit smoking at some point, but she hasn't even tried the electronic cigarette that we bought for her for Xmas yet. SIGH. She had to be taken to a Med-Center on Wednesday because she couldn't breathe very well. She had a severe COPD attack (which is very similar to asthma), and had to get a steroid shot and a nebulizer treatment. The doctor also told her "no smoking." But, she doesn't listen.

We did manage to get all of her belongings moved down here though, Pete and Nathan traveled to Michigan on Monday with her and then returned late Tuesday night. A very quick trip, and they are all just too damned old to keep doing that stuff, I told them, but they did it anyway.

Other than all the illness lately, we've had a decent Christmas and an interesting NYE out and about in Pittsburgh, but I think I overdid things a bit, and I was still sick the next day. My stomach is still not normal, it feels like it's upset and hungry at the same time. But if I eat something, like the peanut butter sandwich I had last night before going to bed, I woke up feeling like I might hurl again. So I don't know what the hell is wrong. It's just annoying.

Pete just turned 53 years old on December 30th, so we had a birthday party for him too!

Well, that's the news for now. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

Love, Rebecca

No comments: