Welcome to our world...

Stay tuned for updates of the new life together that Pete and Rebecca have begun sharing in Pittsburgh!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

A letter from Cor...regarding the death of Miep Gies

A few days ago, I received an unexpected letter from Cor Suijk, who was best friends with Otto Frank, (the father of Anne Frank) for over 40 years. He was also close friends with Miep Gies, who was MY friend for the past 15 years. Here is what he wrote to me:

"Dear Becky and Pete,

I still owe you a heartfelt thank you for your Xmas letter. I gladly re-echo the lovely wishes for 2010!

The illness, death and cremation of Miep took most of my time and energy. Let us email in the future!

Yours, Cor PS. I will certainly think of you July 18th! I marked my calendar!"
-------------------------------------

After reading this and crying my eyeballs out for the rest of the day, I felt comforted to know that he still considers me a friend to keep in touch with. Every day, I miss Miep. Every day, I miss working at the Museum. My heart breaks. I still feel like crying as I write this. She meant so much to me. That Museum still means so much to me. That is the job I wanted to work at forever, until I retire. But 9/11/01 blew a hole in that plan and ended my life in DC.

Here is my reply to Cor....

-------------------------------------
Hello Cor,

Thank you so much for your card and comforting words regarding Miep. It means so much to me to know that you want to continue emailing with me. I have been so sad since her death, I loved her so much. She was my friend for 15 years, and since I am currently 41 years old, that's almost half of my entire life. I cannot convey to you just how much she inspired me, changed my life, and enriched my world for all those years. I loved her as if she were my own grandmother, a part of my family. I will miss her and cherish her forever. My biggest regret of my life so far is that I had a ticket to fly to Amsterdam to visit Miep, but it was dated October 2001, right after the tragedy of 9/11/01, and so it was too scary at that point to fly anywhere. I never used the ticket. I wish with all my heart that I had.
You've also been my friend for many years, and for that I want to thank you. If I can be of any assistance with anything you may need, please do not hesitate to ask. Consider me a life long volunteer to assist with anything. It's the least I can do.
I sincerely miss working at the Holocaust Museum in DC so much, every day, that it breaks my heart. But I do still have friends who continue working there, that I keep in touch with often, so I am really still "there" in my heart and soul, though not physically. I dream about walking through those exhibitions, and I ache sometimes because I know that is truly where I belong, that is my life purpose.
However, I have learned a hard lesson that life is sometimes awkward and even annoying when the plans I make and the goals I set for myself seem to be dictated and/or changed by a higher power that leads me elsewhere, for reasons I have yet to figure out. I just have to trust that it is a good change and have faith that it will lead me to something better. I am learning how to "let go and let God." That's been a difficult thing to learn, but one of my life's best, and most bittersweet, lessons so far.
I am very glad to know that you'll be thinking of me as I get married on July 18th to Pete. I do realize that you will not be able to attend, but I will have a video recording of it afterwards, so if you are interested in seeing it, I will send a DVD to you. I hope that it will be a fun day, but I decided last June, when I got engaged, to do everything myself---what a ninny I am sometimes---thinking it would be easy...but this is my first time getting married, so I had no idea just how much work it really is! However, it is going to be a very nice day for us both. I know that Miep will be there in spirit with me, and she'll always be in my heart. Thank you for sharing her with me for all these years. Both of you have enriched my life in countless ways, and for that I will forever be grateful. I am truly blessed to know you both.
I look forward to hearing from you again soon. Please put a rose on Miep's grave site for me. She's with the Frank family again, in Heaven, and that thought comforts me very much.
With warmth and love, your friend,
Rebecca Gray

So, as I go to bed tonight, I send him warm wishes and fond memories of my friend Miep Gies. She was truly an angel on earth, and I will always cherish her friendship and letters.
Bye for now. ---Rebecca

No comments: