Welcome to our world...

Stay tuned for updates of the new life together that Pete and Rebecca have begun sharing in Pittsburgh!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Happy Weekend, and GO STEELERS...

Yeah yeah yeah, you might think I am getting sucked into being a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, but I'm really NOT. I don't own a jersey, (thankyouverymuch), hell I don't even own a TERRIBLE TOWEL!! (Or as they say it here, "TERBL TAHL") Did you know the story behind the Terrible Towel?? Well, I didn't either, until last night. I can honestly say I didn't CARE how it got its name, either, but now I know, so I might as well pass it on...

During the games, a regular towel was used to wipe down the sweaty, bloody, mud and grass-stained bench that the players sit on. This towel started to get a nickname, as "Terrible," because frankly it was gross and disgusting. Nobody wanted to touch it. So in 1975, a radio broadcaster named Myron Cope decided to come up with a gimmick for the team. The Terrible Towel was soon born, and has been waving in the stadiums by thousands of fans ever since. Every dime that gets spent on those Terrible Towels goes to an Autism Foundation, because Cope's son had it.

So there ya go, a little trivia that I've picked up around here. They're going to MUTILATE the Jets this weekend, and whomever wins this "big game," (they all seem to be "big" here), apparently gets to go to the Super Bowl. Let me just say that you should all AVOID DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH LIKE THE PLAGUE this weekend, because starting tonight after work, until Sunday night when the game ends, there will be tailgate parties in every parking lot, Steelers fight-songs played everywhere you go, and LOTS of drunk people wearing black and gold in the streets, being loud and obnoxious.

It's the perfect time to go shopping, though, during the games! NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY is around---there's no traffic---the stores are EMPTY of people!! It's amazing! So, that is becoming my favorite time to go shopping, whenever there's a "big game" going on around here, and there is ALWAYS some game going on around here.

Anyway, Pete and I are going away tomorrow and will be staying overnight with some friends about an hour away, (due to the nasty blizzard snow storm we've been having and will continue to have for the next week). No point in risking our lives to drive home late at night in it, right?

So it'll be a nice getaway weekend, but we'll definitely be home in time to watch the game. (SIGH). I can't help but yell at the ref's on the t.v. sometimes when they completely dick around our guys on the field, though...and I raise my arms and yell YAY whenever a touchdown happens...so, I guess I'm starting to appreciate the boys on the team, but I'm just someone who sits on the sidelines and tries to remain NORMAL among all the CRAZIES who live here.

But, here's a joke for ya'll that my mom sent me on email....(it was originally geared towards the Green Bay Packers, but this time let's use the STEELERS)....or as my friend Barbara calls 'em, the "Peelers." I don't really know WHY she calls them that, but okay, whatever!!

JOKE:

A guy walks into a bar and yells, "Drinks are on ME, I just had a huge, typical STEELERS baby boy!" Everyone yells CONGRATULATIONS!! And they pat him on the back, and ask him how much the kid weighed when he was born. "TWENTY-FIVE POUNDS! He's a typical Steelers baby I tell ya!" And the crowd goes wild, amazed at the size of this kid, and in awe at the possibility of his kid someday playing on the Steelers team!

A week goes by, and the guy comes back to the bar. The crowd remembered him and yells out to him, "Hey! How's the typical Steelers kid doing?" The guy laughs, orders a beer, and says, "He's doing GREAT! He now weighs 17 pounds!" The crowd is silent, and confused. You could hear a pin drop. The bartender asks the question on everyone's mind, "What the heck? You told us last week that he was born at 25 pounds, what happened since then?"

The guy takes a long drink of his beer, smiles real big, and says, "WE HAD HIM CIRCUMSIZED!"

hehehehehehehehehe

Have a great weekend everybody....

Love, Becky (the slowly converting Steelers fan).

No comments: